One of my fav things about being a nanny/mum, is planning my day with the little ones. I have been a nanny in North Melbourne for the last 7 years and this is my growing list of wonderful activities we attend regularly around this part of town
- Also just recently came across this awesome website http://tothotornot.com - Helping families to explore the best of Melbourne, Regional Victoria & beyond.
WE ATTEND A VARIETY OF LIBRARIES AS EACH ONE OFFERS THEIR OWN UNIQUE STORY TIME FOR KIDS. OUR LIBRARIES PROMOTE ALL THE WONDERFUL LEARNING EXPERIENCES CHILDREN CAN ACCESS AND IT'S A FANTASTIC WAY TO INTRODUCE OUR LITTLE ONES TO A LARGE RANGE OF BOOKS, MIX WITH CHILDREN OF ALL AGES AND LEARN LOTS OF SONGS/RHYMES!
- LITTLE BOOK SHOP - A beautiful designated space at the back of the bookshop. Be warned, it's a tight squeeze but worth it! Stories are read with such enthusiasm that even the adults are entertained. We love to turn up 30 mins before storytime so we can play with the amazing train set. Thursday + Friday sessions @10.30am (all ages)
- CARLTON LIBRARY - A quiet story time space. At the end of this storytime, a trolley of toys are wheeled out which the toddlers dive into. Parents and carers have an opportunity to talk while the children play so it's a lovely social experience for everyone attending. There's also a fantastic playground opposite Carlton library so we usually have a play there before storytime.
Rhyme Time-Thursday 10am (toddlers)
Yarra City Libraries offer storytime for a variety ages.
- KATHLEEN SYMES - This library has the biggest selection of kids books (baby- 6 years). It's an incredibly resourced library. Kids area is an enclosed space with doors you can close and make a little noise. There's a giant Connect 4 to play with too. We love the story time upstairs. Not too busy so lots of room to to sing and dance and get involved in a craft activity after stories. Each story time focuses on a particular subject. Last week it was pirates!
Wednesday 10.30 (3-5yrs)
- BIRDIE NUM NUM CAFE- Awesome play space out the back.
- CRAFTERNOON - Kids can craft or decorate a cupcake here. Our fav!
- MISS MARMALADE - Kids toys and yummy coffee
- HAPPY RIVER CAFE - Family friendly cafe with a large lawn, toys and space. Situated in Footscray. Great place to drop into on your way home from Scienceworks.
- CERES CAFE- Down in the market area. Fun live music on Wednesday mornings. Kids love to have a wiggle and chat with the chickens!
- CHILDRENS FARM CAFE - enjoy a coffee and bite to eat in the cafe surrounds.
ROYAL PARK NATURE PLAYGROUND- Royal Children's Hospital (Parkville). This playground has been named Australia's best playground. If you haven't been, you must go. I love the fact that all ages can enjoy this place!!
BATMAN PARK- Corner Separation and St George's Road, Northcote. Well thought out, fun and fenced playground. We love to visit this playground after our Twisters Gymnastics session as it's just around the corner.
- EDINBURGH GARDENS - Found in Fitzroy, this park is so big it has 2 playgrounds. We also love walking through this park to watch the skateboarders and dogs of all shapes and sizes running around.
- COBURG LAKE RESERVE - Situated next to the river so you need to keep a close eye on your little ones. You will be greeted by an enormous rocket with 2 slides.
MERRI PARK - This playground is nestled in bushland Northcote and and recently had a make over . We have a lovely wander through the bush on our way to this playground.
ALL NATIONS PARK - We park up at Brickworks Lane in Northcote and visit both playgrounds on our bikes.
PITCHER PARK PLAYGROUND - Cnr Separation Street and Keith Street. Big sandpit with donated tipper truck and digger. Fun for all ages and we also visit the Darebin Parklands a 5 minute walk away, to feed the ducks.
ADVENTURE PLAYGROUND IN CLIFTON HILL - We park on the corner of Wright and Dwyer Street Clifton Hill. Another playground in bushland with lots of fun slides and climbing challenges for the kids.
WARR PARK PLAYGROUND - Brunswick. Big Interactive playground. Round the back of Crafternoon (Sydney Road)
CARLTON GARDENS - Playground next to the Melbourne Museum on Rathdowne Street. Awesome playground for kids.
MELBOURNE MUSEUM OUTDOOR SPACE- Newly opened. Wonderful area to eat with our little ones and play.
- WATER MARC - Greensborough .Water slides for big kids and a water play area for the little ones. This place is actually great in the colder winter months.
- QUEENS PARK OUTDOOR POOL - The staff have set up four little boats the kids can drive around on in the middle pool for summer holidays 2017.
These are another few pools which are great too!
- BRUNSWICK BATHS
- CARLTON BATHS
- NORTHCOTE POOL
- MARIBYRNONG AQUATIC CENTRE
- TRAFFIC SCHOOL - Essendon. A facility where kids learn to ride bikes safely on the roads. Saturday morning sessions and more sessions in the school holidays.
- DOM BOSCO - On Sydney Road, Brunswick. Gold coin donation and enormous trampolines. Saturday mornings.
- TWISTERS GYMNASTICS - Drop in 30 min classes for toddlers and parented classes for 2.5 yrs and up.
- MELBOURNE MUSEUM - An incredible new indoor/outdoor kids spaces. A must!
- BUSH PLAYGROUP - Phillips Reserve/Merri Park. Unique bush experience playing with other kids in a bush setting. Get involved with Merri Bush Playgroup on Facebook.
- RHYTHM TREE MUSIC CLASS- At Ceres, Brunswick. Love this music class filled with children of all ages. A visit to the cafe afterwards with the chickens and live music on Wednesday mornings.
- KEEPER KIDS - As well as visiting the animals, Melbourne zoo has a fantastic indoor and outdoor play space with role play areas that the children can pretend to be a keeper, vet, researchers and zoo work crew. Also storytime sessions, animal book corner, make your own zoo with animal figurines and much more.
- COLLINGWOOD CHILDRENS FARM - Abbotsford.
- FAIRFIELD BOATHOUSE - tea and scones with the kids, ducks and a lovely playground on the hill before you walk down to the cafe.
- ART PLAY - Behind Federation Square. A wonderful place children 0-12 can explore and share unique creativity experiences with professional artist. Fantastic playground next door.
- PLAY CENTRAL - Big place and big slides, lots of natural light, great cafe and wonderful 'shopping' role play area. This place is so so big it has dodgem cars!
37-53 Crockford Street, Port Melbourne VIC 3207.
- CROC PLAY CENTRE - Big, clean, great cafe and lots of natural light. Adults can also have lots of fun with kids on their slides. Unit 5, 87 Newlands Road, Reservoir. Also many other locations around Melbourne.
- CLOWNING AROUND PLAY CENTRE - This play centre has great area for the 0-2 yr olds. Lots of toys for the babies to interactive with.
- SCIENCE WORKS- Spotswood. Head to Happy River cafe afterwards with the kids.
- THE BIG GOOSE - Fantastic farm were you can feed animals, enjoy a fab playground and stacks more.
- PEACOCK CAFE AND MESSY PLAY SHED out the back. Situated in Tyabb. Book a spot for your kids on their facebook -The Messy Shed page.
- CRANBOURNE BOTANICAL GARDENS - Cranbourne
- McCLELLAND SCULPTURE PARK - Langwarrin
- THE IAN POTTER FOUNDATION CHILDRENS GARDEN - Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne.
- WILLIAMSTOWN BEACH - Clean beach with a great cafe to grab a coffee and swim.
- MESSY PLAY DAY - A special event run by Collingwood toy library. Slime, finger painting, foam, mad scientist activities + more. Ages 1-6yrs. Look out for the March date in 2017!
- ROCK A BYE BABY - Live Music event held in Fitzroy Town Hall.
- SCIENCE WORKS - 'Little Kids Big Day In'
- LOST LANDS KIDS FESTIVAL - We attended this weekend festival in November 2016 and loved it. Tons of theatre, workshops, music, comedy and camping for the kids.
- XMAS FUN IN THE CITY - Lots to see in the city. Giant lego xmas tree, Gingerbread city in the Town Hall, Crown xmas display and much more..
- NGV - Kids craft and interactive spaces during school holidays.
- DANDENONG LIGHT FESTIVAL - Huge vibrant chinese lanterns come to life after dark.
- SPASHLANDS - Inflatable water slides for the big and little kids. Mornington Racecourse.
- LEAP INTO NATURE - An interactive outdoor program in Beaumaris run by mum/ecologist/zoologist who has a passion for connecting children with nature. We will be checking this out in Feb 2017. Very exciting! http://www.leapintonature.com.au/